Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Marriage Equality

Yesterday was a beautiful day, here in Madison County, Alabama.

I have talked about Intersectionality several times recently. Intersectional feminism is a branch of feminism developed by Kimberle Crenshaw in 1989. From my perspective, this looked like a good article to start with: "Why Our Feminism Must Be Intersectional (And 3 Ways to Practice It)".



One of the reasons that intersectionality matters, is because the experiences of Lesbian, Bisexual, and Transgender women is different from cisgender straight women.  The experiences of Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender men is different from cisgender straight men. And race adds another dimension to their lives, their experiences.

I've been intending, sometime this week, to write a post about the different types of feminism that exist. But that would be off-topic for today. Because today's post is meant to be a celebration, that Marriage Equality is coming / has come to Alabama.

Yesterday, Madison County and a few other counties around the state began issuing marriage licenses to same-sex couples.  Here's an article with photos. Yesterday evening, I got to attend the wedding of two men I've come to know through my church community, who have been together for 15 years. It. Was. Beautiful.

Today, I understand more counties are issuing marriage licenses.

It's a slow road. Our county will issue the licences, but the courthouse has stopped officiating any weddings. In their place, some people I know have organized Wedding Week, to have officiants and the appropriate trappings to celebrate weddings across from the courthouse.

Due to circumstances, I wasn't able to volunteer yesterday, but I was able to attend the reception after my friends' wedding.

No comments:

Post a Comment