Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Global and transnational feminism

I wanted to link to a summary of different types of feminism, but my Google skills are not showing the taxonomy that I am familiar with.

I've described before how the feminism I grew up hearing about did not resonate with me. I grew up familiar with White, Western feminism, often promoted by executives (like Sheryl Sandberg's Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead ) who seemed to have supportive families, connections, and the money to go to Ivy-League schools.



Yesterday I provided links to intersectionality, and how it describes the ways that other factors (for me, class) interact.

As a graduate student, I encountered Global and Transnational Feminism as a definable term. I believe that is the system that my International Training professor worked in. I clearly remember it being the system Dr. Reddy used in Cultures of Asia. I have it on good authority that intersectionality is part of Global and Transnational feminisms.  This article looks like a good summation.

The concepts I learned from those two professors in my M.A. studies are challenging. Many of them are concepts that I am still holding separate and testing, considering, to see if I find them true for my life. Which is another way of saying that I do not fully accept and agree with everything that's there.

As a white Westerner, many of the concepts of Transnational feminism are not meant for me. We live in a complex world, where the best intentions sometimes turn out wrong, and cause even more harm.

In my own attempt to live a life of wholeness, where my actions line up with my values... sometimes a complex world requires compromises.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
-- Walt Whitman 
I look at the balance of what I know, what I want, and what I believe to be just, and I decide whether the compromise is one that I can live with, or an opportunity that I choose to pass up.  (Updated to add: If I've applied to a specific job, then I have already weighed these factors and accepted what the job requires.)

No comments:

Post a Comment