Monday, April 9, 2012

Wisdom teeth

I must have seen the dentist when I went home for spring break.  Since I didn't have an internship or cooperative education job, I went back to live with my parents, sister, and brothers again for the summer.  As my second semester at Purdue wound down, my parents were arranging for me to have my wisdom teeth removed.



When my mom had her wisdom teeth removed, while we were in Omaha, she stayed in their bedroom and slept for most of the week.

When I had my wisdom teeth removed that summer, I was up and about for most of that first week.  I felt like I wasn't allowed to "just sleep," or rest.  How much of that was the 2- and 3-year old brothers?  How much was DB #1 wanting me to get back to work on household chores?  And how much of that was my own restlessness?  I don't remember clearly anymore.

To play the clarinet, one has to have a rock-solid embouchure (that's the position of the mouth).  The reed is against the jaw, so many of the musical vibrations travel through the player's body, through the jaw.  It's not something one can do soon after having had one's wisdom teeth removed.  I didn't think about this when I was going to the surgery, I forgot to ask the dentist how long to wait to play.

I gave myself three weeks to try and recover, before I started practicing again.  I couldn't practice long, my jaw still hurt when I played.  I don't remember how long the full recovery for playing was, somewhere around 6 to 8 weeks, I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment