Monday, January 30, 2012

Remembering

I want this blog to be inspirational, not depressing.  I didn't write this blog to be a downer, but somehow I managed to work most of my angst playlist into last week's posts.  To counter-balance it, I think I will post my playlist of pick-me-up songs soon, probably on Friday.

High school was hell.  Unfortunately, it was only round 1 of hell.  There were more rounds, later.  But the later rounds were also quite different.  I was no longer alone.  They say that when you hit rock bottom, the only place left to go is up.  I started college, I found my husband, and things started to look up.

I'm still here, I'm still trying.

And on Friday, for the second time, I submitted my application to be an astronaut.



I have to wonder what NASA was thinking, setting the deadline for January 27th, the anniversary of the Apollo 1 fire.  Most likely, from what I have read, they want to be sure that the people who apply are fully aware of the risks involved.  This is what I have long considered my remembrance week.  A week to remember and recommit to excellence.



The anniversary of the Apollo 1 fire was Friday.  Gus Grissom, Ed White, and Roger Chaffee perished in the blaze on the ground.  The anniversary of the Challenger launch explosion was on Saturday.  From Wikipedia, the astronauts who perished were:

It was remembrance week before my mother died.  Tuesday will be the 2nd anniversary of her death.  I didn't much like her.  My posts last week provide clues to why.  But she was my mother, and I did love her.

And Wednesday will be the anniversary of the Columbia disintegration on re-entry, killing another 7 astronauts:

In the Columbia memorials, one of Laurel Clark's favorite sayings was quoted as this: "A ship in the harbor is safe, but that's not what ships are for."

No comments:

Post a Comment