Monday, February 1, 2016

Music Monday: Dr. Horrible "My Eyes"

Ordinarily, sometime in the previous week I would have mentioned the Day of Remembrance. While the Apollo 1 fire was before my time, Challenger affected me profoundly. And Columbia brought back echoes of Challenger.

So it's unfortunate that the first Music Monday I've gotten around to posting is on February 1. But it is what it is.

Rewatching this before posting, and thinking of Flint, MI, it might be more timely than I thought


But really, the reason I'd been wanting to post this for the past several weeks, is because of Star Wars: The Force Awakens.

Spoilers below the cut. You have been warned.




Anyone who follows my Twitter account might have seen me post about my own Star Wars roleplay as a child. For a time, I had a neighbor around the block who also loved Star Wars, and he would play Luke training Leia (me) in the use of the Force.

I had some hope that The Force Awakens would give us that, either with Leia or Rey, but I also see the groundwork that was laid. For now, I am content with TFA, and hopeful that VIII will be the movie I've been waiting for my whole life.

At the end of The Force Awakens, Kylo Ren tells Rey "You need training."  Meanwhile, Snoke tells Hux to bring Kylo back to complete his own training.

So where Episode V had just Luke in training to be a Jedi, the stage is set for both Kylo Ren and Rey to have training sequences in Episode VIII.

In my own mental soundtrack, the dichotomy of him following a dark path (even if it's House of Ren rather than strictly Sith) while she follows a light one fits this song from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog.

I just hope that Star Wars gives us a different ending.  Dr. Horrible had its purpose, as an origin story for a villain. But in Star Wars, I like to see redemption stories, and good winning out in the end (probably not in VIII, but IX).

No comments:

Post a Comment