Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Light and Darkness

My primary school library had a set of books, perhaps a trilogy, in the fantasy genre, which I very naturally read. I've looked for the books in adulthood, but have not found them yet.

The story is about a family that inherits this amulet, passed down from generation to generation. The amulet has an image of a black dog on it, and of course it is magical.  If I remember correctly, under certain conditions the black dog will jump out of the amulet to protect the children.

But there's also a way that the child(ren) in the stories can travel to another world... a world in which the bad guys are a priesthood, dressed up in white robes, and actually rather frightening.

The stories fascinated me, the way they reversed the imagery I was accustomed to. For a time, I contemplated working on another reversal, a world where left-handedness was considered normal. I still haven't written that story... it seems too hard to do well, without wielding it like a blunt hammer.

Of course, the stories got me to thinking.



Keep in mind that my "favorite songs" playlist has some 600 songs on it. Still, the one below was one of my favorite "hymns" when I was growing up in church:


I loved the energy behind it. The way it was played at St. Mary's was upbeat, a lot of guitar. I loved *most* of the lyrics.

Except.

I also love starlight, the night sky. Turn my night into day, and I can't see the stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment