Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Capitalism, Misogyny, Business and Negotiation.

On Monday, this Tweet passed by:

The article it links discussed how "maximize profit" has become the goal of businesses over the past 35 years.

In fact, it reminded me of this Consulting Adult Article, "Misogyny and the Valley," particularly her description of the events at Ruckus:


For one project, we decided to split them up by gender and asked both the boys and the girls to solve the same problem: How to get more students to subscribe. We gave them two hours to brainstorm and then present their ideas.

The boys solved the issue in about 10 minutes. They placed a flip chart outside of their conference room that read:  “Invest more in on-campus marketing. Invest more in branding.”

Then the boys went to shoot hoops for the next 110 minutes. The boys’ answer was focused on exactly what the senior team had concluded and we were pretty pleased with what we had taught these guys over the summer.

 But what is really interesting, is what the girls' team came up with. "The girls took the entire two hours and then asked to see me privately. "

Two weeks ago, I posted that:
The business courses that I took at Thunderbird affirmed to me that the business case for diversity is stronger than ever, and if a company wants green, wants money, then the company will care about diversity.
In my experience since that time, I've observed situations similar to Nancy Householder Hauge (Consulting Adult), where the "correct" business answer is known, and so out-of-the box thinking is ignored.

I believe this also to be true of integrative negotiation. In my Global Negotiations course, the professor asked us why we thought distributive negotiations still dominated the business world. At the time, I thought that it was because either most business people learned negotiation before the integrative principles had been developed, or the business schools they attended were still teaching exclusively distributive negotiation.

These articles make me think that these cultural habits of "how business operates" are driving companies to choose the more expensive Distributive method.

No comments:

Post a Comment