Thursday, June 2, 2011

Engineering and Compost

Just in case anyone reading my previous blog post Got worms? wonders what composting and gardening has to do with engineering, here's the deal.

The National Academy of Engineering has developed a list of 14 Grand Challenges for Engineering in the 21st Century.

One of the challenges on the National Academy of Engineering's list, is Manage the Nitrogen Cycle.

I am far from an expert on the subject, but I know that by using my own weeds and kitchen scraps to fertilize my garden, I can use less (or no) mass-produced fertilizer. And, by not sending this waste to the landfills, I reduce the amount of methane that my landfill is giving off.(1)

(1) http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/topic/vermicomposting/pubs/vermicomposting.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment